The Abbath SaariHelvetti festival walkout that abruptly ended Friday night’s set in Tampere, Finland has left fans and bandmates scrambling for answers, after frontman Abbath Doom Occulta left the stage barely two minutes into the performance.
The Norwegian black metal band were playing at SaariHelvetti Festival, held at Viikinsaari in Tampere, according to The PRP. The set barely got off the ground. According to Inferno Magazine, Abbath Doom Occulta (the vocalist and guitarist also known simply as Abbath) appeared onstage without his signature corpse paint or costume, while his bandmates were dressed in their usual stage attire. The band played one track, ‘To War’, before Abbath walked.
Drummer Ukri Suvilehto steps up after Abbath SaariHelvetti festival walkout
With the frontman gone, drummer Ukri Suvilehto faced the crowd and offered an apology. ‘Let’s just say that it probably won’t come as a surprise to anyone that our lead singer is struggling with health problems, so we’re very sorry if this gig has been interrupted,’ he said. ‘But we, as solid professionals, are prepared for anything, so we’ll see. But thank you and sorry. We have done everything we can.’
It was an uncomfortable moment handled with as much dignity as anyone could manage under the circumstances. Suvilehto’s choice of words (‘probably won’t come as a surprise to anyone’) carried a weight that the crowd at Viikinsaari would have understood.
A history that makes the Abbath SaariHelvetti festival walkout harder to dismiss
This is not new territory for the band. In 2019, they ended a show in Argentina after just two songs, then cancelled the remainder of a South American tour. That collapse was attributed to ‘health issues’ which were later revealed to be linked to Abbath’s battle with addiction.
Later that year, he entered rehab. He said at the time: ‘It’s no secret that I’ve been battling addiction. I have now come to realise that it’s time to pick a fight with this demon. I’ve committed myself to a rehab program that’s going to help me get clean once and for all. I feel more motivated and determined than ever to win this battle.’
Early in 2020, he reported he had been sober for two months and was ‘in good shape.’ That update felt like a turning point. Friday’s events in Tampere raise questions about where things stand now, though the band have made no formal statement beyond Suvilehto’s words from the stage.
Fan-filmed footage of the Abbath SaariHelvetti festival walkout circulated quickly, showing the frontman’s departure and the drummer’s address to the crowd. A full show video from the festival has also appeared online.
The SaariHelvetti slot was one of the festival’s headline draws. Walking out after a single song, without corpse paint, without the full stage costume that has long defined Abbath’s visual identity, it reads less like a technical problem and more like something was badly wrong before the set even started. Suvilehto’s phrasing suggests the band knew it too.
Abbath Doom Occulta, who came to prominence fronting Immortal before launching his solo project, has built a devoted following across decades of extreme metal. That fanbase has shown patience through previous crises. Whether Friday’s incident is an isolated episode or part of a wider pattern, only the band can say. What’s clear is that Suvilehto’s onstage apology did the job of holding things together when the frontman couldn’t.


